Our team works day-in and day-out to make composting easy and help urban agriculture thrive. If our mission resonates with you, we hope you’ll take a look below and see how you might fit in with our organization. We’re passionate about helping people live their values, including ourselves. A career at Compost Cab is an opportunity make sustainability tangible for yourself, your friends, your neighbors — it’s a career built on community. Questions? Email email@example.com We look forward to hearing from you!
Compost Cabbie, Farmers Markets
Part-Time positions available in DC
Compost Cab is growing and we need your help! If you’re mission-aligned, a great communicator, passionate about delivering exceptional customer service, and committed to building healthier, more sustainable communities, we want to hear from you!
Compost Cab operates the District of Columbia’s Department of Public Works FREE, citywide organics recycling program, the first of its kind in the nation’s capital. As a member of our team, you’ll connect with citizens at farmers markets, teach them about the joys of composting, and help them get started. You’ll also get your hands dirty, turning food scraps into fertile soil alongside our urban farm and community garden partners in and around DC. And if you are looking for opportunities to get behind the wheel, we have a few of those too!
- Set-up and take down our market tent.
- Collect food scraps from residents dropping off their compostables. Log data.
- Engage, educate, and excite residents about composting opportunities.
- Process compostables and participate in workshops after market
- Manage market inventory and supplies
- Outgoing, friendly, reliable, and unflappable
- Available to work Saturdays and/or Sundays throughout the May-Nov farmers market season and ideally year-round.
- Ability to multi-task, and think on your feet.
- Willingness – eagerness! – to get your hands dirty. If you’re not prepared to work with compost bins, and everything that goes in them, please don’t apply.
- Preferred: Bachelors degree in a relevant field; experience working on recycling, food waste, or composting or urban agriculture; experience working with school gardens; experience working with DC-based community organizations, Spanish language skills.
- DC RESIDENTS STRONGLY PREFERRED.
- Required: valid driver’s license, clean driving record, and a current smartphone.
- Entrepreneurial work ethic, and a natural sense of hustle.
Competitive hourly pay, paid time off, Zipcar membership. Meaningful, soul-nourishing work. Terrific, mission-driven colleagues. Room to grow professionally.
To apply, please email a resume and 100 words on why you think you’re a good fit for the Compost Cab to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: “Market Cabbie Candidate, Your Name.”
Compost Cabbie, Driver / Composter
Positions available in DC (2), Baltimore (1), and Northern Virginia (1)
Compost Cab is about more than rerouting food scraps, we’re about creating new soil, growing delicious food, and strengthening our urban agriculture movement. As a team member and Compost Cabbie you will have the unique opportunity to work outdoors while exploring diverse neighborhoods, and end each work day on a bountiful farm or garden where you’ll help create nutrient rich soil with all those collected food scraps. This is a dynamic position where no day is ever quite the same as the last, but the rewards are consistent.
- Learn your route(s) and navigate it efficiently. Collect food scraps from subscribers and deliver them to one of our partner farms or gardens.
- Prepare bins for delivery, document details of individual stops, and log route data.
- Deliver and process organics alongside our farm partners and larger-scale facilities.
- Continuously suggest improvements on everything from logistical processes to neighborhood marketing opportunities.
- Assist with organizing and carrying out our bi-annual soil deliveries.
- Make every interaction a delight for our subscribers.
- You have a clean driving record and a smartphone.
- Deep knowledge of local streets and neighborhoods a huge plus.
- Detail oriented, with a demonstrated ability to work independently, multitask and react quickly to changing conditions.
- Commitment to building healthier, more sustainable communities.
- Love of exceptional customer service, and a natural sense of hustle.
- Self-starter-ness – a track record of consistently creating personal and professional stretch goals, then meeting or exceeding them.
- Strong desire to work with your head AND your hands.
- Flexibility to work occasional weekends & holidays.
- You’re physically strong, able to lift 40 lbs, and work with your hands day in and day out.
Compost Cabbies are the heart of our work. You’re out in the community collecting from homes and apartments, and on farms & gardens, working with your hands to produce nutrient rich soil. Don’t know much about composting? Don’t worry! We process multiple times a week, giving you the opportunity to learn about this age-old process and how it ties into the local urban agriculture system.
To apply, please email a resume and 100 words on why you think you’re a good fit for Compost Cab to email@example.com with the subject line: “Cabbie Candidate, Your Name.”